Saturday, February 27, 2010

Trading onion bulbs for lightbulbs is a poor deal.

Another rushed entry, as to be expected:
I'm currently mid-transit from Wilderland to the Tui Community for the womyn's gathering, and I've come to a couple conclusions:
1) My life does not seem any easier, happier, or enriched with the luxury of electricity
2) I don't like vacations, or the idea of being a tourist. I already knew this, really, but it's being hammered into my head even further. I could chalk this up to some altruistic reason, but ultimately I think it's just because I get bored. I'd much rather be working 6 hours a day doing something productive and enlightening (farming) than watch geysers for 20 bucks a gush. I guess this also has something to do with the fact that the tourism industry-- i.e. eco-tourism-- is largely constructed around the marvels of nature, when I find nothing tremendously marvellous about them. Yes, mountains, geysers, volcanoes all exist, and yes, they are beautiful and important things. However, it seems eerie to be squeezing them for all their worth, judging and measuring them by monetary gain. Really, the only marvellous thing is their absence. The same thing that keeps them a 'spectacle' is the same thing that destroys them-- and that's consumerism, the commercialization of our natural habitats. Enough of this tangent, running out of time.
3) I'M IN TOTAL CITY-SHOCK. As of right now, all I can do is shut myself in my hostel room and read until my corneas have refused reflect any more light.

There's much more to be said, but I don't have time to say it. Roughly: circus freaks, gypsy punk DJ's, magicians, professional chefs, friendliness of strangers, 100% acceptance rate to college, and scholarships to 3/4ths of them.

I love and miss everyone, and I can't wait to turn these vacant lots into stonefruit oases.
MK

1 comment:

  1. hey congrats about your college acceptances! and your trip sounds completely awesome! =) i went abroad my senior project and it was really rewarding. -Rachel Eisley-

    ReplyDelete